Sunday, February 14, 2016

Dark Days Dunkelweizen

Dunkelweizen is a style I absolutely love in the spring.  It has the great ester/phenol profile of a hefe, but it still has a strong malt backbone to back everything up.  In my opinion, the rich malt flavors mingled with the great yeast profile of a hefe yeast are the perfect combination for transitioning to warmer weather

Over the years I've brewed a few different versions of dunkelweizens, mostly relying on a flavorful base grain like Vienna or Munich, a crystal malt, and a touch of a roasted grain.  This beer doesn't deviate from those general guidelines, though I did change a few things up a bit.

In this beer I decided to use Dark Wheat instead of white wheat; went with an American crystal malt (C40), and instead of using Carafa special for color and a hint of roast, I grabbed some Midnight wheat.  None of these changes are too profound so I'm expecting basically the same beer I've brewed in the past, but I am really curious about the roast profile from the midnight wheat malt.  If it turns out as smooth as I've been told/read, I think that it will have a place in a grain-bill of an upcoming Eisbock I plan on making.

This brew session was during the playoffs and was a great distraction to the pounding both of my teams took, hence the name of the beer....Somehow I also took a pounding and only got a 66% efficiency from my mash as well (Lower than my first AG)......No pics this time either, I had absolutely no idea where my phone was all day, which was probably a good thing......

Dark Days
Malt Bill
Amt (lbs)Type
7.0Munich II - Weyermann
4.0Dark Wheat (9L)
1.0C40L
0.25Midnight Wheat
Hops
Amt (oz)TypeTime
0.25Magnum (15.5%)60
Mash Schedule
TempRatioTime
153F0.8qt/lb60
170F2qt/lb15min - vorlauf
YeastBavarian Wheat WY3638 (1.2L Starter)
Stats
5.5galOG1054
66% effIBU12
7gal BoilFG1016



0 comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails