Saturday, August 16, 2014

Einkorn Table Beer

Seems like every time I post recently I always say its been too long and I'm gonna pick up the pace.  I must admit though its tricky to find want to spend the little bit of free time I have (when the baby is asleep) writing up a blog post.  More often than not I just want to veg out......  Still though I somehow find the time and energy to brew - something about the end product makes that veg time a bit nicer :) So while I haven't posted in quite a while I have managed to sneak in a few brew sessions.  The first one of which was an old standby that I seem to continually tweak, a table bier!

Ive wanted to try using einkorn for a while in a table beer, but until recently I was unable to source it.  Luckily
I found a local source in the Pac NW that grows both einkorn and emmer!  I wont go too far into the history of Einkorn but it is a very old grain, and there is anecdotal evidence that it maybe be OK for people who are sensitive to gluten.

History aside, it looks very different from modern wheat berries (left side of pic).  The einkorn is much more seed like and in my opinion has more of a rustic, heartier grainy flavor than your typical wheat berry.  I am excited to see how the flavor of this beer turns out, all of my other table beer experiments with alternative grains have turned out wonderfully (amaranth, millet, rye).

Einkorn Biere de Table
Malt Bill
Amt (lbs)Type
13.0Vienna
3.0Einkorn berries
Hops
Amt (oz)TypeTime
3.25Fuggles (4.2%)60
2.0Serebrianka (2.3%)10
2.0Serebrianka (2.3%)0
Mash Schedule
TempRatioTime
151F0.8 qt/lb60
170F2.0qt/lb15min - vorlauf
YeastBelgian Ardennes WY3522 (3L starter)
Stats
11 galOG1047
90% effIBU26
13.5gal BoilFG



1 comments:

Roman Wood said...

How did it turn out? I've been reading up on Einkorn and wondered how it would taste used for beer. The grain has 6 proteins I believe to the 14 or so in modern grains today, which makes it easier for folks to digest. At least this is what I have read. I'd love to hear how it taste and if it was a success!

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails