Friday, September 20, 2013

Rye Table Beer

Its been quite some time since I last posted (~3mos), but life has really gotten in the way of brewing recently.  Unfortunately I expect it will be like this for a couple more months at a minimum.  However, when I have time I am still tinkering away, especially with trying to develop a "recipe" for making homemade candy syrup, and sneaking in a brew session every once in a while.

Since I haven't been brewing much this summer I really missed out on having a keg of my house favorite Belgian table beer around.  The base recipe for the beer is extremely simplistic, (barley, unmalted grain, lots of aroma hops), but at the same time allows for lots of variation.  You can change out the hops (though I prefer floral or earthy hops in it), swap around the unmalted grains for huge differences in malt profile, add fruit and sour it or even add spices (my personal favorite is cardamom, mace, and vanilla).

As far as the unmalted grains go, in the past Ive used wheat, oats, kamut, millet, amaranth, and even added D2.  With fall rapidly approaching, what grain could be better to use than some rye? I think that the combination of the spicy calvados-like flavor of the rye with the bready-yeastiness of my table beer base is a perfect match for cooler nights and warm days.

Last hop season I purchased quite a bit of serebrianka hops, and due to my lack of brewing haven't had a chance to use them yet.  As a result I was a bit more heavy handed than I typically am in this beer.  I even decided to throw some in the mash! (mostly to help out with lautering due to using more unmalted grain that usual and not having any rice hulls around).

In the kettle I ended up with 8.0oz, to account for this I upped the boil volume a tad to 7gal, and still ended up squeezing out the hops to add to the batch.  (I usually do this and keep the wort for starters - I reboil this portion though).  Ended up with just slightly more than 5.5gal, which was super easy to verify thanks to the etched carboy!

(check out this post to see how to do it yourself)


Rye Table Beer
Malt Bill
Amt (lbs)Type
6.0Pilsner
3.0Rye Berries
Hops
Amt (oz)TypeTime
1.0Serebrianka (2.3%)Mash Hop (20min)
2.5Serebrianka (2.3%)60
2.0Serebrianka (2.3%)10
2.5Serebrianka (2.3%)KO < 170
TBDSerebrianka (2.3%)Dry Hop
Mash Schedule
TempRatioTime
105F0.45qt/lb20
150F1.1qt/lb60
169F2.2qt/lb15min - vorlauf
YeastBelgian Ardennes WY3522 (no starter)
Stats
5.5galOG1048
81% effIBU26
7gal BoilFG1014
Notes: Fermetation temp set at 65-68-70, with the low/high values being on/off setpoints on my thermostat controller, and 68 being the target.   (9days @ 68F, 7daus @~84F)

Review - 12/28/2013 - Notes & Thoughts

2 comments:

Jeffrey Crane said...

Glad to see you posting again. I'm looking forward to your follow-up on the candy sugar. That is one thing I want to figure out.

Nick said...

Great to have you back in action, Ryan! I'm definitely keen to give something like this a try.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails