Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thanksgiving IPA

So we are having some family come stay with us this year for Thanksgiving and one of them (brother-in-law) is a homebrewer! He's relatively new at it, around a 1-2yrs, but he's pretty good at it (tried his spotted cow clone and a bourbon porter).  So I wanted to have something nice around for Turkeyday for us to drink!

The last beer I brewed (Pumpkin Porter) was mostly for SWMBO, and some friends, although I must admit I do enjoy a spicy brown porter myself.  This one though will be for the guys.  I stuck with a recent trend of mine, that is lots of British malts, with some sugar/starch to lighten the body a bit.  Ive really been please lately with how well some of my beers that do this are turning out.  One thing out of the ordinary though, as with the Pumpkin porter, I decided to play around a bit with my water profile.

The water here in Phoenix, at least to my palate, seems to brew up some decent pale ales and IPA's when its diluted a tad with RO (too much Cl-)  However this time around I really wanted to balance the bitterness with malt for a really balanced IPA (how I prefer them).  To do this I started with RO and added a tiny bit of Phoenix tap water get the sodium and sulfate levels reasonable.  I then added equal amounts of CaCl and CaSO4 to get a nice balanced chloride to sulfate level that should produce a perfectly balanced beer. Now there are a lot of caveats to that statement, and one that might be contentious in particular is the use of chloride to sulfate ratios at all.  There seems to be quite a bit of disagreement whether this is a tried and true rule.  While on many homebrew boards its often stated as fact lots of brewers and food chemists think that its only a general guideline and many only be relatively useful under 100ppm levels.  In this beer I should be slightly above 100ppm for both so I'll get to add my own non-scientific data point! (Dortmund is a classic example of >100ppm levels and it's said to contribute a minerally flavor profile)

Thanksgiving IPA
Malt Bill
Amt (lbs)Type
9.0Marris Otter (Fawcett)
0.5Crystal 20L
0.5Tapioca Starch
Hops
Amt (oz)TypeTime
0.25Cascade (9.1%)60
1.0Amarillo (10.8%)15
1.0Citra (13.7%)15
1.0Amarillo (10.8%)5
1.0Citra (13.7%)5
1.75Cascade (9.1%)KO<170F
2.0Simcoe (11.9%)KO<170F
0.25Citra (13.7%)KO<170F
0.25Amarillo (10.8%)KO<170F
2.0Simcoe (11.9%)Dry Hop
Mash Schedule
TempRatioTime
153F1.0qt/lb45
170F1.8qt/lb15min - vorlauf
YeastLondon ESB WY1968 (500mL Starter)
Stats
5.5galOG1060
86% effIBU57
7gal BoilFG


2 comments:

Jim Lemire said...

Is that the tapioca starch right in the mash tun with the grain?

Ryan said...

Jim - Yup, thats the starch right on top of the grain bed, Ive done this a few times now with great success!

http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2011/10/english-ipa-with-tapioca-starch.html

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails