Saturday, September 1, 2012

Petite Raspberry Saison - Review

Appearance - Hazy, reddish orange, normally dense 2 finger head that clings to the glass till the last drop.  This time it seems to have big bubbles in it, must be a dirty glass.

Aroma - Bready pils aroma, spicy and yeast fruity phenolics, and a light whiff of raspberries

Taste - Slight sweetness offset by the tartness of the fruit, definite raspberry flavor, but it doesn't dominate the beer.  Fruity yeasty flavors, each sip finishes with a hint of raspberry and black pepper, really great profile

Mouthfeel - Relatively highly carbonated 2.5vols (by my standards), prickly on the tongue, medium-light amount of body

Drinkability - This beers is really great! And its going to be re-brewed quite often. The only reason I had enough left for this review is that I forgot I had it around. I took it off gas while I was out of town to carb up an extra keg. When I got home I forgot the raspberry was in another fridge.  I just rediscovered it this weekend in fact, so I'm a happy camper.

Notes/Thoughts - Beer really is great, early on it was a bit sweeter and more raspberry-like, this has evolved into a slightly drier, more peppery beer which is really good as well. The body makes it more like a table beer than a commercial style saison, but I think too many commercial saisons are too big, and too dry. This could be mashed at a slightly decreased temp without too much being taken away from the otherwise great flavors, making it a bit drier.

Brewday - 3/29/12 - Recipe & Notes

1 comments:

Shawn said...

Looks good. I recently brewed a "Super" Saison, and racked about 2 gallons into secondary about a month and a half ago. I racked onto raspberries as well, and pitched the bottle dregs of a Fantome Saison to see if anything funky would happen (although the FG was already pretty low at 1.004). Going to leave it for another couple of months before bottling.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails