Sunday, March 4, 2012

Jaggery Pale Ale

Not too much to talk about with this one.  Basically I needed a quick turn around beer that would be ready for post Strong Beer Fest indulgence.  Sadly the Boricha Porter decided to leak out of the faucet after my last pint for the night.  Let me tell you, it was a great morning to wake up to ~4gal of beer all over my office floor!  I shed a tear for that beer as it was really a great porter (my best attempt to date).

Anyway I really liked the Tapioca EIPA that I brewed up late last year and I wanted something similar but a tad lower alcohol.  Lately Ive been enjoying beers brewed with Maris Otter that are thinned a bit by and adjunct like tapioca starch, sugar, or in this case jaggery.  The malty goodness of MO still shines through but it allows me to make a beer that isn't quite as filling.  Plus with the high $$ of importer MO vs domestic pale it lets me stretch my budget a bit and still have the depth of flavor that the English grains provide.

For the remainder of the beer I used what I had on hand East Kent Golding hops and Thames valley yeast.  The jaggery has a great buttery toffee-like flavor, Ive used it once in a Belgian spiced beer (that I forgot to write up - maybe soon?) and really liked what it added to the flavor  I think it should mesh well with the earthy hops and the sweet breadiness of the malt.

Jaggery Pale Ale
Malt Bill
Amt (lbs)Type
7.0Marris Otter (Muntons)
1.08 (17oz)Jaggery
Hops
Amt (oz)TypeTime
1.5EKG (5.1%)60
1.0EKG (5.1%)10
Mash Schedule
TempRatioTime
154F1.0qt/lb60
169F1.8qt/lb15min - vorlauf
YeastThames Valley WY1275 (slurry)
Stats
5.5galOG1049
83% effIBU31
7gal BoilFG

Review - Tasting & Thoughts - 4/15/2012

0 comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails