Sunday, September 25, 2011

Toasty English Pale - Fall Restocking

There isn't too much of a why or how I'm brewing up this beer, basically I need to replenish my stocks for the fall and winter. For the first time in a long time I almost, didn't have a keg ready for each of my taps! So I thought what is a quick turn around very drinkable beer? Well I'd be hard pressed to think of something that hits the spot better this time of year than a nicely balanced English Pale.

I took a couple slightly different approaches this yeas versus what Ive done in the past. I left out the dark crystal malts, well sort of, and changed up my yeast selection. I also decided to eliminate any late flavor hopping and go solely for bitterness and aroma, I may also dry hop in the keg. I also purposely kept the OG fairly low and mashed high. I did this to keep the alcohol down a bit so this can be a sessionable beer to enjoy as the weather cools.

In many of my EPA's I like to use C120, its hard to beat the nice way it meshes with earthy hops and English yeast. This year though I decided I wanted to make it a tad darker and use a new malt for me. Coffee Malt. It supposedly adds a nice coffee flavor, although from reading experiences from it, Id bet that its not so much coffee like and more toasty. I mean really how many people can pick out 1/4lb of a toasted malt in a stout? Tasting the wort after the brewday I'm thinking its really more of a toasted flavor. I did add special roast to this beer as well, I really like the bit of toffee and sourdough that it adds to any beer.

For whatever reason I also decided to switch up my yeast selection on this beer as well. I decided that I didn't really want the Fuller's character in this beer and was going back and forth between a couple yeasts before deciding on Thames Valley. I'm hoping to use this one a couple times in the near future so I hope I chose well.

Toasty English Pale

Malt Bill
Amt (lbs)Type
7.0Marris Otter
0.5Coffee Kiln Malt
0.5Special Roast
Hops
Amt (oz)TypeTime
1.0Fuggles (6.0%)60
1.0Fuggles (6.0%)5
1.0Fuggles (6.0%)KO <170F
Mash Schedule
TempRatioTime
157F1.0qt/lb60
170F1.9qt/lb15min - vorlauf
YeastThames Valley WY1275
Stats
6.0galOG1043
86% effIBU22
7gal BoilFG




Review - 12/3/2011 - Notes & Thoughts



0 comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails