Monday, June 6, 2011

Amaranth Table Beer - Review

Appearance - Golden Yellow, slightly hazy at this point as its had time in the kegerator to clear a bit, dense 1 finger head that leaves sticky lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass

Aroma - Bready, hints of spice and banana and a fruitiness that's unique to 3522 and an ever so slight hint of bubblegum; when it was a bit younger it had a very interesting nutty/herbal aroma that was quite nice

Taste - Spicy but subdued, as usual the malt flavors really shine with 3522, and there is a hint of sweetness, mid-palate there is a very distinct herbal flavor that I'm attributing to the amaranth, at first it was a tad strong but it has since mingled very well with the other flavors

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly creamy still, which I am starting to attribute to 3522, and possibly my low carbonation (2vols) It is a bit thinner and drier than previous versions, but relative to an all pils base I think using the amaranth didn't do much to the body

Drinkability - As usual with this type of beer (low grav, Belgian + lots of aroma hops) its undeniably easy to drink. A beer that really complements food, and BBQ in particular, although that may just be a function of the time of year

Notes/Thoughts - Nice beer, I really think that the Amaranth was an interesting addition adding a nice herbal/spiciness of its own that meshed very well with the other flavors in the beer; I'm not sure how well it would go with a "clean" yeast but could see it working if noble/herbally type of hops were used. As for the body impacts to the beer, it still made a nicely creamy beer, but I'm not 100% if that can be attributed to the Amaranth, as I'm starting to think that 3522 is responsible, hopefully after I taste the Dark Table Beer I'll be better informed



2 comments:

Jorge - Brew Beer And Drink It said...

I didn't know you were here in AZ... It is getting pretty hot to brew, so now I wake up at 6 and get going... beer looks good

Dan said...

This is a really cool idea. My wife's been begging me to do something w/amaranth (she's into all kinds of really weird, oddball grains) and this sounds like something we could really get into. Unfortunately, since I've moved to all-grain, I've had nothing but brewing woes...this may have to be the first one I give a shot when I get back in the saddle!

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails