Sunday, March 20, 2011

What the Funk? - Finally a Review......


Ive been drinking this for awhile now, and never realized I hadn't reviewed it. The beer has changed quite a bit since it was brewed, which I didn't realize until writing this up that it was brewed almost 2yrs ago to the day! I'm going to try and catch up on a lot of the beers I haven't reviewed (recipe page reformatting really opened my eyes)

Appearance: A slightly hazy golden orange, single finger head that quickly dissipates leaving moderate amounts of lacing.

Aroma: A subdued maltiness, hints of vanilla, oak and leather, you really have to get up next to it though to pick up much, when it was younger it had a huge dark berry aroma

Taste: Malty, with just a hint of tartness. Mustiness and leather fill your palate mid-drink, but are rounded out by a hint of spice and brett funk in the finish. When young this beer had a huge dark berry flavor, there is but a small wisp of it now if your really looking

Mouthfeel: Nice slick mouthfeel, carbonation is a touch low but works well with the full body, it is very spritzy though as you swallow

Drinkability: An interesting beer, not an everyday drinker, and not something I would pair with just any dinner or food, as Im not sure what kind of flavors would play off whats in the beer. It is something that I like to drink before or while cooking though, as really piques my appetite

Overall: I
wish I could offer more of a description of it as a whole, there are many flavors in the beer that Im really having a hard time describing. Its interesting how much of the berry flavor has faded as the beer has aged, I think if I were do to it again I would add a much larger amount of reduced wine to the beer, and I would do it at a bit farther into the bulk aging

0 comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails