Monday, January 3, 2011

Rye Harvest Ale

I know its a bit late in the season to be making something called a harvest ale, but somehow this ones been in the works since October. It seemed like every time Id be getting ready to start this batch up something would drag me away from it. Finally under the guise of needing to go Christmas shopping I snuck outta work early and spent the afternoon brewing.

Its been quite a while since I came up with the recipe so some of the how and whys are a bit fuzzy now but basically I wanted a nice rich ESB-esqu beer, a strong hop aroma and the calvados-like flavor I really like from using Rye. And what better pair for the rich, malty breadiness that is Marris otter than a healthy portion of Rye? I remember first getting the idea after reading a homebrewed kvass that used some rye bread in the boil!

I ended up using a packet of US-05 that I had laying around, which was really handy (haven't really had time for starters lately) Although I did bump up the mash temp a bit to prepare for what I'm expecting is going to be a fairly high rate of attenuation, normally I would prefer to use a British strain and mash a bit lower.

Rye Harvest Ale
Malt Bill
Amt (lbs)Type
6.0Marris Otter
3.0Rye Malt
0.580L
Hops
Amt (oz)TypeTime
2.0Goldings (4.5%)60
1.5Goldings (4.5%)20
2.0Goldings (4.5%)<170f f--="" nbsp="">
Mash Schedule
TempRatioTime
155F1.1qt/lb40
170F1.9qt/lb15min - vorlauf
YeastUS-05
Stats
5.5galOG1052
87% effIBU42
7.25gal BoilFG-


Review - 3/26/11

2 comments:

The Mad Fermentationist (Mike) said...

Sounds like a tasty combination. I've got a bunch of Styrian Goldings, might do something similar with them.

Let me know how much the bread comes through. Just had one of the last bottles of our Pumpernickel Porter, it is just starting to develop a faint tartness after 5 months (something is eating those starches no doubt).

R said...

Styrian Goldings sound good in something like this, their earthiness would be a good match

Im really hoping its fairly bready, I will let you know how it is

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails