Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hoppy Witbier - Review

Appearance: Hazy golden color with orange highlights, dense long lasting head with lots or lacing, some bits of hops in the glass(dry hop bag came undone in the keg)

Aroma: Tangerine, grapefruit and all other citrus combined, not much yeast presence in the nose since I dry hopped this bad boy

Taste: HOPS! Lots of citrus, passionfruit and tangerine come to mind in particular, the finish is a smooth and accentuated by a subtle spiciness from the yeast. Before I carbed this beer all I could taste was a slightly bitter witbier, now its an IPA with a hint of a wit

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth mouthfeel from the oats and wheat, medium carbonation

Drinkability: I like this beer but its not one I crave, although I have never really liked Belgian IPA's in the past, something about the yeast and hops has never quite seemed right to me, a brewing buddy seems to really like the beer though, as such I have promised it for a party he is having, guess Ill see what the crowd thinks.....

Overall: I like the concept of this beer, and think it has potential with a few tweaks, I actually prefered the profile of the beer before it was carbed and it tasted like a bit more like a bitter witbier, I think that the yeast profile in this one is really dominated by the hops and the beer would need to be fermented a bit warmer to accentuate the yeast character a bit more, I also think I could have used a bit more coriander in the beer to add a bit more fruity flavor to balance the hoppiness a bit. The beer needed a bit of aging to meld, as when it was young the start and finish were great but something mid-taste wasn't quite right, that seems to largely have faded now (4mos)




2 comments:

Der Braumeister said...

I like the idea of having oats in beers other than wits and oatmeal stouts. I experimentally put some in a specialty Thai-spiced coconut honey APAish thing, and the mouthfeel was sensuously smooth and just really enjoyable.

Ryan said...

I agree I really enjoy oats in a lot of beers, I even did a 100% oat malt pale ale

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails