Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hoppy Witbier - An IPA crossed with a Wit

So, after tasting a sample of the fermented wort of my most recent witbier, I knew that 5gal wasn't going to be enough. Yet Ive really been craving something hoppy and bitter lately, but I really haven't had much time to brew full batches recently. For the most part I tend to shy away from hoppy/bitter Belgian beers, and haven't found a Belgian IPA that really hit the spot for me (most are too phenolic for my tastes) And actually this is a large reason that Im hesitant to call this a belgian IPA.

Witbier yeast tends to be a bit less aggressive producers of spicy phenolic compounds compared to some other Belgian yeasts, so I thought this combination might make something that better suits my tastes. I also really wanted to make sure that the base beer wasn't masked by all the hops. Most importantly I wanted the traditional witbier character to be fairly evident. So, I took my go-to wit malt bill and ramped it up to IPA levels. I then decided to have a fairly light hand with bitterness so as not to overpower the yeast, so I decided to hopburst the beer.

The IBU's are a tad on the low side for an IPA, but this isn't really to any style in particular. I really just wanted to take what I feel are the best parts of either style and mash them together hopefully to produce something tasty. I also almost forgot, I did add some coriander to the boil to help keep it more wit-like. This beer will also most likely get dry hopped with at least another 2-3 ounces of hops. Im not really sure what to use yet though, I used up all my citra in the boil as well as my amarillo, maybe some simcoe?





Hop Wit

Malt Bill
Amt (lbs)Type
9.0Pilsner
3.0Flaked Wheat
1.0Flaked Oats
Hops
Amt (oz)TypeTime
1.0Citra (11%)15min
1.5Amarillo (9.3%)15min
1.0Amarillo (9.3%)5min
1.4Amarillo (9.3%)<170f
1.0Citra (11%)<170f
Mash Schedule
TempRatioTime
152F1.15qt/lb45
170F1.9qt/lb15min - vorlauf
YeastBelgian Witbier WY3944 (Slurry)
Stats
5.5galOG1073
86% effIBU38
7gal BoilFG-
Notes: ~0.5oz of coriander was added at KO to help keep the beer very wit-like; beer was feremented at ~70-74F


0 comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails