Sunday, September 5, 2010

Lambic Update

Well, I thought I'd do a bit of an update on the lambic I made last summer. It has come along very nicely, and about ~4mos ago or so, I split the batch into 3 x 3gal carboys. In one I added about 4# or so of blackberries, in another 5-6# of cherries to another, and decided on leaving the last portion for additional aging. I hope to use it to blend a gueuze in the next few months.

Its been awhile now since I last tasted the batch, but last time the acidity was showing yet it was still fairly soft and the funk was very subdued. Overall the batch was very bright and citrus-like. This was a big reason I decided to blend it with 2 different fruits, as I thought the developing flavor profile could accentuate the flavor and aroma of the fruit. Well, I decided to take a sample the other day (I am hoping to bottle to open up the fermenters for other batches) and I was surprised by the two fruited portions

The flavor has changed considerably on both. The blackberry actually had become a bit too tart for my liking (I prefer a softer character with fruit), but otherwise the flavor was great. So to cut the sourness a bit, I decided to blend in about 1.5L of a blonde ale that I brewed up earlier this summer (recipe to come) that I thought would blend in well, and wouldn't offer too much for the bugs to eat. I would have added some of another lambic, but I really didn't feel like having to do all the work siphoning from a carboy, and after all I had the blond on tap. Fermentation did kick up slightly which is a good sign, hopefully Ill be able to bottle this up in the next month or so.

The other fruited portion, didn't have quite as strong of an acid bite, so I didn't blend anything in...yet. But it displayed that graininess in the finish that Ive come to find in lots of my sours. I really don't like the flavor, luckily it usually fades with time, unfortunately its usually lots of time. I was also a bit disappointed with the cherry flavor, and decided to add a bit of black cherry juice to top off the batch and add a bit more flavor.

0 comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails