Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Brett Beer for Everybody

Brettanomyces in beer can be a pretty polarizing thing. Some people love the flavors while other abhor them, Ive yet to meet anyone in the middle. But I wonder if that's because of how strong the flavor are in a majority of the commercial beers I try with Brett?

I have a beer that I brew with Brett, quite often actually, and the flavors are a bit more muted and are underlain by a significant English ester profile and a fairly strong coriander flavor. I haven't actually tried giving many people this beer (I hoard if for myself) but anyone who I have given it to always asks for seconds, which is why I now hoard it :)

The beer is generally moderately dry with hints of malt, a strong fruity profile that fades to a distinct, yet subtle brettiness. The bottles evolve substantially with time, becoming less fruity and more spritzy. I'm not sure what I had originally set out to brew when I made this the first time, I just remember being surprised it wasn't what I had planned on, and surprised by how good it was. Unlike other wild/brett beers Ive done this one has been pretty consistent in the flavor profile, but small changes like carbonation levels and how thick the body is generally happen.

I actually brewed this one up a while ago, but I have a tendency to not post about repeat recipes. But I realized after a recent thread on a homebrew board that there's quite a bit of interest in a more subtle brett beer for the first time brett brewer, so I thought Id put this out there.

Easy Brett Beer

Malt Bill
All GrainExtract Equiv
Amt (lbs)TypeAmt (lbs)Type
5.02-Row3.75Pale DME
0.5Acid Malt--
Hops
Amt (oz)TypeTimeAmt (oz)TypeTime
0.2Simcoe(12.9%)600.75Simcoe (12.9%)60
Mash Schedule
TempRatioTimeTempRatioTime
155F1.25qt/lb60---
169F2qt/lb15min - vorlauf---
Yeast

London ESB - 1968 - 1L starter

Brett Brux - 3112 - 500mL starter

Stats
2.5galOG10662.5galOG1066
85% effIBU17NAIBU17
3.5gal BoilFG3.5gal
Notes - Both yeasts are added at the same time when pitching; both were grown on a stir plate, so adjust if you don't use one; acid malt is really needed when brewing this beer, flavor isn't the same without it (brett transform it to other things) so if you brew up the extract beer a tbsp or so of lactic acid could be a good thing.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whose 2-row and acid malt do you use? Thanks

Tero said...

I did I slightly modified version of this recipe and after a month it has a distinct flavor of hay. Looking forward to seeing how it ends up in a couple of months. Thanks for the inspiration! :-)

http://halffullpint.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/recipe-a-low-gravity-brett-beer/

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails