Saturday, October 24, 2009

Oatmeal Stout

So I recently posted on BA a poll of sorts. We are planning on having an upcoming holiday part at my house and I wasn't sure whether to brew up a porter or stout. The stout was overwhelmingly chosen over the porter, personally I wanted the porter but I'm going with the crowd on this one.

When I posted the poll I also posted the two recipes for the beers. Ive made both many times before and the recipes are the result of many changes over the years. Now for the most part I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to brewing, I think the fewer malts you use the more defined and focused the beer is. Uncharacteristically my oat stout had quite a few malts in the recipe. The thing was that I actually preferred that beer to previous examples (I almost always have 1 or 2bottles left from the last batch), but those that posted got me thinking a bit.

It made me wonder if I could focus the malt bill a bit more and have a better defined flavor. So I cut out a couple malts (Munich, 120L, honey malt) to really simplify the recipe. I'm very curious to see how the two beers compare.

The Bare Necessities Oatmeal Stout
Malt Bill
All GrainExtract Equiv
Amt (lbs)

Type

Amt (lbs)

Type

7.5

2-Row8.0Extra Light DME

2.0

Flaked Oats0.75 80L

1.0

80L0.75Roasted Barley

0.5

Roasted Barley0.5Roasted Barley

0.5

Chocolate Malt0.5Maltodextrin
Hops
Amt (oz)TypeTimeAmt (oz)TypeTime
0.6Nugget (14.6%)600.5Nugget (14.6%)60
Mash Schedule
TempRatioTimeTempRatioTime
158F1.22qt/lb60154F1qt/lb30min
168F1.9qt/lb15min - vorlauf168F1.5qt/lb5min
YeastLondon ESB 1968 (yeast cake)
Stats
5.5galOG10635.5galOG1062
85% effIBU27NAIBU26
8gal BoilFG3gal Late ExtractFG

0 comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails