Friday, June 19, 2009

Rustic Saison

Last week when I went to my LHBS, the owner was checking his stock and doing inventory, and came across a few packs of Wyeast VSS that were a bit too old, and as he's done in the past, he saved them for me (I'm one of the few funky/belgian brewers at the store) So I scored three Wyeast packs for free! As far as strains go, I got one pack of Brasserie Blaugies (3726), and two of the Unibroue yeast (3864), seems no one likes the Unibroue yeast as about this same time last year I receive two free packs as well! I personally feel its a tad phenolic, but when blended 1:5 with an IPA I make its pretty amazing stuff!

Now all the packs were manufactured a while back ~6mos but within 1hr of smacking the 3726 it had swelled as completely as it could! and as usual I will build up a huge starter (5L) for saving the yeast anyway

Ive been reading a bit lately about saisons, and the way they were produced around the turn of the century (1900). Everything about the way there were made seems very rustic, yet very practical. Almost all ingredients, for the most part, came from the family farm, In fact it was often that the barley was malted by the farmer, resulting in a less modified, darker, rough around the edges malt, due in part to inconsistent kiln temperatures, the resulting malt would have been very different from the pilsner seen in many contemporary examples. The gravities were modest ~1040, these beers were meant for quenching your thirst during the harvest after all, and in fact Ive read that it wasn't uncommon for over 5L per day to be drank!

For this beer, I plan on recreating what I see as a somewhat rustic and rough around the edges beer. With the inaccurate kilning that was done back then I suspect they produced malt that was a bit closer to biscuit than pilsner, so I plan on supplementing the pils in the malt bill with a healthy portion of belgian biscuit, to provide a nice breadiness and round flavor, In addition I plan on adding a substantial portion of spelt, an heirloom grain that was grown in significant quantity in Belgium, primarily for feed, but Id suspect that now and again it would find its way into the mash tun

Ive decided after getting a few requests for extract versions of my recipes, that from here on out I will post both and AG and the extract/partial mash equivalent, not all recipes will be easy to convert, and some just may not be possible, this one in particular will probably be a bit tricky with all the unmalted grains, but if you ever attempt an extract/PM version I would be very interested in hearing how it turned out

Rustic Saison
Amt
(lbs)
All-GrainAmt (lbs)Extract Equiv
5.0
2-Row Belgian Pale
1.5
2-Row Belgian Pale
2.0
Spelt
1.5
Flaked Wheat
2.0
Belgian Biscuit
1.5
Belgian Biscuit
-
-
3.5
Light DME (Late Addition)
Hops
0.6oz
Sorachi Ace (14%)
60min
0.5oz
Sorachi Ace (14%)
60min
0.85oz
Sterling (8.4%)
5min
0.85oz
Sterling(8.4%)
5min
Stats
5.5gal
OG
1048
5.5gal
OG
1046
80% Eff
IBU
28
60% Eff
IBU
24
7gal Boil
FG
-
3gal Boil
FG
-
Mash Schedule
Cereal Mash - 149F-210F
2lb Spelt + 1lb 2Row
149F
1qt/lb
40min
149F
1qt/lb
75min
168F
1.5qts/lb
Till Clear
168F
1.5qts/lb
20min(vorlauf)
-
-
-
Yeast
Farmhouse Ale 3726 (Brasserie Blaugies Strain)

Review - 10-31-09

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Nice Idea! I am really starting to experiment with this style. I am planning on brewing a saison for each season and if time permits a few more. I am interested to see how your beer comes along, especially with the spelt. I made a pumpkin saison last fall and used some marris otter. I have been throwing around the idea of using some rye in a saison. Looking forward to seeing your results.

The Bruiser... said...

This looks amazing, thanks for sharing!

dank brewer said...

Where did you get Spelt?

If I can get some...I'm gonna brew this recipe for sure! Sounds pretty tasty. Just finished reading Farmhouse Ales and was intrigued about trying to brew with some spelt for a more traditional Saison!

Ryan said...

I got the spelt at whole foods, I havent seen it there in the flaked form in a while though

Every store Ive been to though has the spelt berries

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails