Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Buckwheat Braggot First Tasting

Appearance - Light brown with dark orange highlights, very clear, nice head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving a thin cap and moderate lacing in the glass

Aroma - Nutty, Earthy, Strong honey aroma, with emphasis on the buckwheat honey smell, with a subtle alcoholic finish

Taste - Strong Honey flavor, a deep earthiness (leather, fresh dirt), not the typical honey flavor however, it is much richer and bolder, a bit of alcoholic/solventy in the finish indicative of a mead/braggot that is far too young and one that is fairly alcoholic (~11.5%), I wish the bitterness was a bit more assertive than it is

Mouthfeel - Amazing mouthfeel, it is extremely creamy and thick, not something you expect from a braggot that finished at 1.010, I wish some of my beers had this type of body in them!

Drinkability - I'm not the biggest fan of meads/braggots but this one I could see myself drinking quite often, and see it pairing well with a rich meat dish (Beef Burgundy etc), to date this is by far my favorite mead or braggot that I have tasted or brewed.

Notes/Thoughts - Still a bit young, alcohol is in the background but still present, definitely displays the traits of a very green mead, in my experience another 4-6mos and this will largely have faded, and will continue to get better with age. Hop bitterness is a bit restrained, while its good this way I think bumping up the bitterness another 20IBU or so would help it age better. By far at this point my favorite part of this braggot is the mouthfeel, I just cant get over how smooth and creamy it is

Brewday 3/8/2009 - Recipe & Notes

2 comments:

Dan said...

So you don't think the buckwheat came through that much? I've made truffles with that honey and it's some powerfully flavorful stuff. I've got a pyment/melomel in the works. What's your favorite yeast for a fruit mead?

Ryan said...

The actual grain? - no, theres not much nuttiness left, although like you say the honey is very powerfully flavored so it may be overpowering the flavor from the grains

But, the fermented taste is much more subtle than the honey, I really really like this braggot, in fact Im planning another larger batch soon so I can drink what Ive got

For a melomel I like K1V1116, is a very fast fermentor, and produces some esters that enhance fruit flavors, I use it in a sour cherry melomel I make that my gf loves

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails