Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Blonde Ale III - First Tasting

No updates for awhile, Ive been busy with school/work/moving into a new house. But I planned for a brewing hiatus this month by brewing a lot last month, and I have plenty of thirst quenching beers available right now. Im hoping I will be able to brew again sometime next week, Ive got the Brett L sitting in the fridge ready to be tossed into a starter!

Appearance - Light Golden color, very clear - pic doesn't do it justice, 1½ finger head that dissipates leaving nice lacing in the glass

Aroma - very subtle graininess, some floral and citrus notes with a touch of honey

Taste - Slightly grainy, pils malt really comes through, light bitterness that lingers pleasantly, a sweetness reminiscent of honey in the finish yet still very dry.

Mouthfeel - light body, with moderately high carbonation, fits it well, very easy to drink and thirst quenching on a hot day like today!

Drinkability - a Good beer, not as grainy/bready as previous iterations of the recipe, but Ill attribute that to a much higher efficiency this time around, still a damn good beer but a bit more lightly flavored than in the past, hop presence is subtle and mostly in the aroma, it really adds a nice dimension to the beer.

Notes/Thoughts - Probably wont change much with this one, maybe cut back on my efficiency a bit to get more flavor in there (more graininess). Bitterness is good, nice and light, I think I prefer the sterlings to the other hops Ive used in it previously (cascade, hallertau) its more floral/earthy and it fits well, the US05 did well in it, I think it accentuated the honey malt a bit, but I still think I prefer US04 for the light fruitiness it provides when fermented cool

Brewday 4/2/09 - Recipe & Notes

3 comments:

Dan said...

Give Kolsch yeast a try. I loved it in my cream ale. It gives off a slight white wine character while being slightly lager like, but very clean.

Russ said...

Congrats on the new house. Mine was christened with five gallons of K├Âlsch on the basement floor (courtesy of a bad poppet valve while force-carbonating); hope you find a cleaner way to christen yours!

Ryan said...

- Russ
Hey, thanks, hopefully Im a bit luckier than you were, Ive been meaning to do a thorough keg system cleaning maybe thats the motivations I need

- Dan
Hmmm, I might try that sometime, I have to admit though that Im not the biggest fan of the kolsch's Ive had to date, but maybe I need to try my hand at one, a winey character sounds interesting

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails