Tuesday, May 19, 2009

100% Brett L Malty Brown

Ive really been itching to do a 100% Brett L beer for awhile now, and this weekend I'm finally getting the chance. I was on a brewing hiatus for ~3.5wks while I was dealing with the final details for moving into a new house.

This beer wont really be 100% brett L, I guess to be accurate it'll be about 80% brett L, as I plan on taking 4gal to ferment with Brett Lambicus, and souring a gallon with the dregs from Oro de Calabaza by Jolly Pumpkin, and Cantillon Gueuze. I will stabilize the soured gallon by fining and hitting it with some campden over a few weeks, that way hopefully this one wont end up too dry.
I want something that is very caramelly and has toffee notes, a little fruity/funky from the brett and a slight tanginess while still slightly sweet. After reading that I realize this will be quite a feat to pull off! After this beer is done I plan on using the yeast cake for a true 100% Brett L beer, and may even do What the Funk Reloaded using brett L, considering how much I like the original.

Brett L Malty Brown

OG 1060: IBU 20:5.75gal: Eff 82%

9.o lbs 2-Row
1.0 lbs Special Roast
0.5 lbs 80L
0.5 lbs Acid Malt
1.0 oz Carafa III special

0.5oz Zeus 16.4% 60min

4.50 gal - Wyeast Brett Lambicus 5526

0.75 gal - Cantillon Gueuze Dregs
0.50 gal - Oro de Calabaza + Calabaza Blanca Dregs

Notes: Brett L was built up with a stir plate starter, 4L of ~1045 starter was used, and had to be the weirdest looking starter Ive ever made, a very dense hard layer formed on top of the little whirlpool: Prior to pitching the brett starter the 4gal of wort was driven anaerobic by submerging dry ice into the wort, this will hopefully have the effect of making the beer a bit more sour and making the brett a bit more expressive (experience that others have noted on BBB): Oro de calabaza + cantillon dregs were stepped up with 500mL of ~1045 wort that was kept at ~85F to increase lactic and other bacterial growth, this was then pitched into the wort

8 comments:

Dan said...

Both my Brett L beers finished around 1.010 so I don't think yours will be too dry. How much sourness are you hoping to get the Brett to produce? I do get a little but it's a very fruity, sour cherry like sourness. I'll do a tasting of the stout in a couple days.

Ryan said...

Its not the brett L I'm worried about drying the beer out, rather the plethora of bugs in the jolly pumpkin Im using to sour 1gal of the beer

Thats why I plan on fining and adding campden to that portion

Ive noticed a very sour cherry aroma from my last flanders red, that Im attributing to brett L, i really hope I can bring a bit of that out in this one too

Nick said...

Hi Ryan, enjoying your blog. I've just brewed a slightly modified version of this recipe. It's my first 100% brett beer. I was wondering if you can give me a rough idea of how long the fermentation might take?

Ryan said...

Nick - Provided you made a large starter of the Brett L, it should finish relatively quickly. I generally am a bit slow (lazy) about racking from the primary so I believe this beer sat in the carboy for 1month before it was bottled.

Are you adding bacteria to any of it was well? or are you leaving it only Brett L?

Nick said...

Good to know, thanks. My starter was probably a bit on the small side so I'll assume it'll be a bit longer.

It's just straight Brett L for this one.

Ryan said...

Nick - Watch the gravity, as just like sacch brett can stall out on you. If it looks like its stuck you either have to let it ride a couple months (with frequent agitation) or add some ale yeast

I really think in this beer that a pinch of acid really helps to bring out the brett flavors, What I did was add a tiny bit of citric acid to the glass when drinking. It was amazing how much brighter that made the fruity flavors. If nothing else you might try doing that as well, I think you'll learn a lot, I know I did!

Mark Watkins said...

How soon did you start drinking this? I see your first review was 2 years after brewing it.

Mark Watkins said...

Is special roast in the recipe the same as special B.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails