Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Kombucha

I've really had the itch lately to be brewing, unfortunately all my carboys are full at the moment. So, I need to find alternative things to "brew" that dont necessarily need to have a large batch. So I've decided to try my hand at brewing some kombucha

Kombucha is a fermented tea, it supposedly has quite a few health benefits (not the best source but soooo easy), Im really just interested in it because, I like the flavor, and I can make it for much much less than I can buy it. A bottle at the store is ~3.50$+, I can probably make 5gallons for that.

If you dont know, and havent clicked on the link, kombucha is a fermented tea, is slighly acidic and has a sublte vinegar bite and nose. Its made by fermenting a sweetened black tea by a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY). Its basically a big gross gelatinous blob in the tea. You can buy the cultures, but they are pricey 25+, so why not culture some from a bottle, just like you would from Duvel, Saison Dupont, etc?

To culture the SCOBY, I plan on stepping the culture up every few days, I will be using Lipton Tea, and black teas - its what I have on hand- and some sugar to make a starter of sorts. Others have reported good results, hopefully I will too. When all is said and done I hope to make a citrus/orange Kombucha. To do this I plan on adding lemon juice and/or orange juice when bottling

Kombucha Starter

16 oz Water
2 tbsp Sugar
1 bag Iced Tea
1 bag Black Tea


Dregs from Organic Kombucha Tea

0 comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails