Sunday, December 21, 2008

Graduation Stout

So today I racked my RIS, half was bottled and the other half is going on cherries (bing and Montmorency). It’s a recipe I've done before, but I took it up a notch this year, hoping to age this for about 2yrs (till graduation)

Graduation RIS

8.5 lbs Pale Malt
2.5 lbs Munich Malt
10. oz Chocolate Malt
8.0 oz Roasted Barley
6.0 oz 120L
4.0 oz 60L
4.0 oz Flaked Barley
8.0 oz Sugar

1.0 oz Zeus 16.4% 120 min

4 gal: 1115 SG: 68.8 IBU

When I mashed in I used ~2gal of second runnings (1020) from a brown porter I made the same day, this helped me achieve the high OG I was shooting for, I mashed a bit high (154) for this big a beer, but I'm expecting the sugar/acidity from the cherries to help to thin is out a bit. It tasted very smooth when bottling , the alcohol is very well hidden, I had to bottle some without cherries because I know I wont be able to wait for this one!

0 comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails